Bld 1.2.3. Save As Dialog More Problems!!

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.

Bld 1.2.3. Save As Dialog More Problems!!

Postby MusicLaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Bld 1.2.3 on WinXP Pro SP3

SPE's Save As Dialog also has the following additional problems:

The Save As Dialog is not prompting the user that an existing identical filename on the hard drive is about to be overwritten! Pressing Save in that dialog will overwrite the existing file.

Open a RAW image. Do edits. Save As. With same image on screen apply more filters. Use Save As. Dialog fails to stack another _pe (shown in bold below) in the filename in the save as filename field. It should! The second save as should be something like: filename1234_pe_pe.CR2.jpg This would preserve all the saved versions.

Currently this is not occuring, and the prior save is overwritten w/o any user warning nor notification!

Also, after the Save As is written to disc, SPE's Windows Titlebar still shows the name of the original Raw file w/o the updated filename attributes. For example, the orginal filename is "RSG_2931.CR2" SPE's Window's title bar still shows this as the filename, even after filters have been applied and the Save As has been performed. SPE's title bar should show: RSG_2931_pe.CR2.jpg

Also the Save As dialog is taking an exceedingly long time to save the file to disc. It should be a mere second or several. Rather it is taking a good 15 seconds or more, and it's only generating a relatively small jpg file (1600kb whereas the original RAW was 8MB).

Site Admin

Re: Bld 1.2.3. Save As Dialog More Problems!!

Postby admin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm

I couldn't reproduce the overwriting of existing files without warning on this end, so it might be in a particular senario. I've made a number of changes to how the saving system works, as described in another post, hopefully making the what is going on clearer, so let me know if the next version still has problems.

There are a couple of other points worth mentioning:

PE takes the same approach as PP, in that it adds a _pe modifier when you save for the first time, but not subsequently. If it did, you would end up with very long filenames. If you load a modified file and then further modify it, in that case you will end up with _pe_pe to indicate a modification on top of a modification.

We weren't intending on stacking up old format filters on to the file name (.i.e. .cr2.jpg), that was a bug that has been fixed. This is how PP and Photoshop both work, so I assume that's ok!

The saving taking a long time is down to having to re-load the original raw file, the actuall saving of it should be pretty quick. By default PE works with 8 bit images for display (as it's faster) and only does the 16 bit processing when you save. We are working on speeding this up.

Tony

Re: Bld 1.2.3. Save As Dialog More Problems!!

Postby MusicLaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:51 pm

You wrote: "If you load a modified file and then further modify it, in that case you will end up with _pe_pe to indicate a modification on top of a modification."

This is what I expected. Just as PP V10 operates. However, SPE wasn't playing the same way. I'll check the next build when available.

BTW, Settings > General > "Load 16 bit images as 8 bit then reprocess as 16 bit on save or print" is enabled.

Return to Bugs