erase fails on 16-bit tiff

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.

erase fails on 16-bit tiff

Postby rrobinson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 am

I tried erasing a telephone pole from a 16-bit tiff I had converted from a Nikon D300 RAW file and got a funny florescence stripe instead. I've attached a small 1:1 unsharpened image showing the stripe. The cloned part came from a non-overlapping area a bit to the left. I had tried erasing the entire pole earlier and got roughly the same stripe so this is the 4th or 5th time I tried by erasing a somewhat smaller area, hoping that that would work since I had been successful with erasing a smaller area in a 16-bit tiff before.

The image being edited is a 4304 x 2860 16-bit tiff, with lossless compression (a 88 MB file). When doing the erase, I selected Erase then zoomed into 1:1, shrunk the brush down so it was about half way on the slider from the original brush size down to the smallest brush. Then used my shakey mouse hand to select the pole. I also see the same stripe if I directly open the RAW file (4320 x 2868) with SPE, erase the pole, save the file as a 16-bit tiff (loseless compression) and then reopen the tiff in another viewer (irfan view).

I don't know if this is related but as I "draw" with the eraser, the red outline of the erase selection disappears after I've drawn a certain amount and before I release the mouse button-- at that point I can continue to drag the eraser but I'm mostly working blind. This might be my display card so it's a ATM HD Radeon 5770 with a driver that's about a year old (I can't update to a more recent version since the latest driver had an OpenCL that breaks another program).

Thanks!

Re: erase fails on 16-bit tiff

Postby rrobinson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 am

Trying to attach the file again. I didn't press the "Add this file" last time. :?
Attachments
funny_erase.jpg
funny_erase.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am

Hi,

I've tried reproducing it with a 16 bit tiff here, but unsuccessfully. I've sent you a private message for what to do next.

Thanks,

Tony

Postby rrobinson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for looking at this! I sent you the files as requested.

I have also experimented a bit more with the problem. It seems to be that starting Erase on a 16-bit image and and then zooming to 1:1 during the erase. If I don't do the zoom, the erase works fine but with the zoom the saved 16-bit tiff always has the neon green/magenta blobs.

ArjunAnthroQA

Postby ArjunAnthroQA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 am

Hi rrobinson,

We're looking into this and I think I've found an issue similar to what you're describing. Would it be possible to get a few bits of info from you?

Can you please tell us the following:

- In File> Settings is the "Load as 8Bit" box checked or unchecked?
- When you zoom to 1:1, are you using the P keyboard shortcut?

As I mentioned, I've found an issue that's very similar to what you're describing. I was hoping that these questions would help verify the issue and provide a definite set of steps to reproduce it.

Thanks very much,

Postby rrobinson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

My "Load 16 bit images as 8 bit then reprocess as 16 bit on save or print" is checked. I think that's what you mean by "Load as 8Bit".

I zoom to 1:1 using the mouse and don't use the P keyboard shortcut (but thanks for the tip, I might use that in the future).

Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 am

Hi,

I have found a bug that sounds like the one you describe. It's fixed and the fix will be in the next release.

Tony

Return to Bugs