Saved Image is not the same Color

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.

Saved Image is not the same Color

Postby Phelon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:41 pm

This was happening, saved image not the same color, after doing my normal several routines of selecting an effect, fixing one or perhaps 5 areas, then selecting an area like the sky and replacing with an effect or my own saved favorite. I sometimes save aa a session and I don't recall a problem there, but then you can't see the final saved color. I may even have the program crashing when I try to save. Then I also had the program crash when I try to switch brushes between add and erase.

All of this was happening after normal use. I didn't try to change any preferences--just a routine save.

What I discovered was that after saving, and with my colors looking completely off in the desktop view of large icons, I opened the saved file to view in the Mac's Preview window. There the image also looked way off in color, so I went to Preview Tools, and down to Change Profile. I normally use Pro-photo or Adobe RGB or sRGB, but when I selected Wide Gamut (I don't use this), my colors were restored. Other profiles were not as good. It was crazy because I don't go changing profiles--haven't for months.

When I was saving, there was also a contamination showing SPOTS or blotches (2 to 5) of colors. To correct, I had to go back to my black and white tag and use a brush to clear out. It was weird!

It's very early in the morning to report this, but it's very important to me. I also restarted my computer zapping my PRAM, but it didn't help. Then restarted SPE a few times.

My image looked great in SPE, but after saving, it looked very bad.

Phelon

Re: Saved Image is not the same Color

Postby Phelon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:56 pm

UPDATE

After sending my information about the problem, I had success opening a file listed from yesterday's work and then saving it. It was just one file so far, but if I have more problems, I will let you know.

Maybe you have some idea of what might be going on. This contamination or wrong colors thing happened also a while back. Once I start having it slow down or crashing (on or before saving) I can't seem to bring it out of it's problem until I change the profile in the viewer and then save it.

Phelon

Postby gary » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Phelon

Could you send us a picture so we can reproduce this problem? Please send the picture to support1234@anthropics.com and mark it for the attention of Simon.

Also could you explain your comment that you had success opening a file from yesterday's work? Does this mean if you open a session and re-save that as a jpeg or tiff that it looks right in the Mac preview?

thanks,
Gary

Postby Phelon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for helping to check this color and crashing problem. A picture was sent to Anthropic Support.

In regard to your question, I opened only a file as listed in left-hand column from last evening's work; then saved it as tiff, and both the opened SPE file and the saved file viewed in Mac Preview looked normal, and quite good actually. Didn't open from a Session.

I placed back in my picture folder a Trash file from last evening; didn't show that it had been corrupted. There were other files that I needed to delete, but did not restore them, but will do that if you think necessary.

Using Dropbox, I can send bigger and several files at a time.

Phelon
Last edited by Phelon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sicoid2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Good day Phelon

Thanks for sending in your .tiff image and .pe session files to us

The Pe file appears to load and save out fine this end, without any obvious colour or corruption issues and without having to adjust any colour profiles. Indeed, the saved image matches the sample you sent in, as viewed via the mac file manager and default image viewer.

If you could please confirm that you are essentially saving a Tiff image from the supplied saved .pe file and are experiencing colour and texture distortion problems with that, as viewed using other software on your mac?

I.e. are the display problems only occurring with an external mac image viewer - and if so, specifically, what software are you experiencing the problems with?

If you might be able to capture the offending problem with a specific .pe file and ideally a copy of the original image, we can try our best to replicate any such issue and correct it.

Best regards,

Simon

Postby Phelon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi Simon,

I do save my images as a tiff file. Also, just sent 4 images via Dropbox and Tony. A note I sent with the images may explain an image file name problem, 2 different images having the same name (one was cropped from the other, but both kept the same file name (done some time ago) and both processed with SPE. I think the computer got confused processing to a final image. Ideally, the computer should handle each image individually based on its metadata, exif, etc.

When I view my images, the application by default is Preview, as provided by the Mac OS. Sometimes I "Open With" and select a program if I wish to do additional processing.

With everything said, I believe we are good for now, as the specific images seem to be working OK. I will, of course, let you know of any similar problems that show as I continue processing.

Please look at the Dropbox pictures because there you will see two files with bad colors that I took from my Trash. Thank you for your service and SPE.

Phelon

Postby Penningtons7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:06 pm

I have noticed this as well and could capture an open image viewed on top of editor (Screenshot) to show my view. Looking into it and will prob send one in. Seems to be most obvious on reds (for the images I was using over Valentines)

Postby Phelon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Just added two more files to Dropbox--different subject image and different saved result. Session file included. Something is wrong in Denmark.

Phelon

PS Some SPE image enhancements save fine.

ArjunAnthroQA

Postby ArjunAnthroQA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Phelon & Penningtons7,

I'm looking into this issue now, trying to find a cause. Can you please tell me if either of you have the "Load 16 bit images as 8 bit then reprocess as 16 bit on save or print" checked or unchecked in the Settings/Preferences menu?

Currently it seems that it may have something to do with certain edits on 16 bit images, but I'm still looking into it. If it's not too demanding, would it be possible to get the original 16 Bit Tiff from you Phelon? As when you send over the session file it will use a stored 8 bit version of the image and if the problem is specific to a loaded in 16 bit image, it would greatly help in finding the cause.

Once we know what's causing this, I'll let you know and try to get the issue resolved in the next update.

Thanks.

Postby Phelon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Arjun,

Just loaded an original 16-bit file to the SPE Dropbox. After you mentioned about the 16-bit to 8-bit then save back to 16-bit in SPE, I unchecked the box to process like that. The result was immediately showing in SPE session the same diluted image on my workspace as previously saved with the 16-bit conversion box checked in preferences. I then went across each session image to see where the disruption was occurring. That's where I will quit and have you analyze what's going on. You're on the right track!

Phelon

PS Also loaded a new image saved with SPE and its session file and original.

Next

Return to Bugs