Stopped Working

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.
Site Admin

Re: Stopped Working

Postby admin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:40 am

Hi Chris,

If it is originally a jpg file, you can ignore the 8/16 bit warning. It's strange that it's crashing for you and not me. I'll get support to check it out on their computers too. A workaround for the moment would be to save a jpg after you've done just a few edits then continue working from that jpg, i.e. in small stages rather than lots of changes at once. Either that will fix it, or you'll have a much smaller set of effects that cause the crash and that might narrow it down.

Tony

Postby cezed » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 am

Tony again thanks and yes that work around I am already doing at the moment, shouldn't have to, but I'll keep going that way for now,
as I only have some small edits at the moment, as stated, that doen't seem to cause
a problem. It's when a large one comes in and the issue re-occurs I will let you know.

Thanks and I am sure we will be in touch .

Regards
Chris

Postby DennB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Problem with working with a jpg and continually saving and reusing and saving is the image will continually degrade.

Postby cezed » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:16 pm

DennB, Thanks for the info. But It will let me save it as a session and bring back that session.
I just save, at least for the moment, at regular intervals as JPG, as an extra backup but continue with the session file
If in the end I have finished editing the session file and then the save to JPG format fails, then
I need to kill the process but will let me resurrect the session file (AutoSave) when SPE restarted. so I than save it by taking
a snapshot using the Window snippet tool. Not an ideal situation but for now it's a workaround,
until this is resolved. Or try and get my money back and look for another but similar software. there a few around.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:41 am

Hi Czed,

If you save as a tif, then you wont have any degradation through repeated saving. I agree you shouldn't have to, but unfortunately, everyone who tries to save the session you sent hasn't had any problems, so it's tricky to figure out what's wrong. By saving smaller sessions, you might be able to shed some light on the situation. If you want your money back, then please open a support ticket.

Thanks,

Tony

Postby cezed » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 am

Tony, thanks
I'll persevere for a little while as I haven't got any large edits on my list
at the moment and maybe someone else may come up with a similar issue.
I like the way SPE works and getting used to its functions, don't want to
start from fresh again.
As for saving it as a Tiff file, I haven't tried that as yet, so next time it hangs I'll try
saving it as a Tiff file and see what happens.
It could well be a conflict within my PC, off course no other software that I run
has this issue though. I also run an early version of Coral photoshop (pro 3) without any
hick-ups.
I'll keep my eyes on this forum and if something crops up in the meantime please let me know.

Regards
Chris

Postby Cliffy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:03 am

Same problem here with crashing on windows 8!! Should'nt be happening, running windows 8, i5 at 2.5ghz with turbo, 8 gigs of ram. Excellent software for the average user.

Postby cezed » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:02 am

Tony and Cliffy. My problem had since widened and other programs started doing similar things
"Hanging".
My own investigations pointed me to an possible issue with Internet Explorer 11 and contacted Microsoft support. Appeared to be a
corruption in one of their "system32" files. With their help the problem "appears" to be resolved. I am not certain though
how IE 11 impacted SPE or the other programs but I do know they all accesses the web one way or another. However, I am still treading cautiously as I have not done any high volume
photo editing nor any other reasonable work in other programs but no hanging has occurred since the fix.

The fix was to remove IE 11 in total
e.g. remove ALL traces relating to IE not just an uninstall and reinstall. than reinstall the latest version available. Hope this may assist

Postby Cliffy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up Chris. Unfortunately, not relative to my issue, bug seems to be in the program itself, more like a driver compatibility issue when rendering multiple nodes. I suspect it runs a lot sweeter on windows 7. There are still a lot of high end programs out there only now upgrading for windows 8 and 8.1 integration. Thanks for your input!
Cliff

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi,

The software doesn't use any drivers when rendering nodes, so there's nothing to be incompatible with. One thing you should try is the 64 bit version of the software. If you are doing many or very complex effects then using the 64bit version means it wont run out of memory so easily.

Tony

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs