Loading several photo's to make HDR

Please let us know of absolutely anything you think is missing from Smart Photo Editor.

Re: Loading several photo's to make HDR

Postby Mozzy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Well as you know, I mentioned it elsewhere here on SPE :) And as Photomatix is allegedly the best at multiple file merging for HDR ... it would be a dream come true if it were part of Smart Photo Editor.

Personally having tried Photomatix, I'm actually far from impressed. It seems this particular software is only half decent given the 'right' type of images in't first place. As it seems to wear the crown for HDR it would be rather nice if SPE could take a punt at it.

Now then; what can we do to help it actually become a reality within SPE? Tony ...

Mozzy

Postby flyingduk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 am

I find Photomatix doesn't handle dark , black etc very well - perhaps SME could solve that problem if they come up with HDR solution.

Postby Gilbertb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:35 pm

This will be very helpful or I will need to consider Photomatix.

Thank You

Postby flyingduk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:00 pm

Just combining 3 or more pix plus tonemapping is required for true HDR - tonemapping for a single pix is also great feature. :idea:

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:42 am

You can get tonemapping on a single picture by using the HDR gallery (under detail on the left). If you use raw files, they actually have tons of dynamic range in them already, so you may not even need to use several exposures and obviously simpler too.

Tony

Postby Mozzy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm

That is a very good point and I must agree with a RAW image It is as good if not better than a single image tonemap in Photomatix.

Mozzy

Postby flyingduk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanx for the advice - forgive my lack of product knowledge as I am just starting to work with SPE.

Postby Mozzy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:57 pm

flyingduk wrote:Thanx for the advice - forgive my lack of product knowledge as I am just starting to work with SPE.

If I may as a complete beginner in SPE spend time with differing images, say a RAW, a TIFF and of course a JPEG then make some basic notes in whatever you favour and refer back. A tip I was given is if you achieve an image that blows you away (many final images will) save it as a session first; you'll get the camera SPE icon instead of the image. When you want to simply open the session up to see what you did.

Save gallery effects as favourites rather than relying on the last ones you have used as that changes.

BUT above all else …. just spend time finding out what it does; and the only way to do that is by the mistakes you'll make :)

Finally …. read through the help entries and if stuck just ask. Someone will be able to help.

Good luck … SPE is a very powerful post image editing tool and worth far more than the asking price.

Mozzy

Postby DBenterprises » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:05 am

It may be a good addition. I've done testing on single and multiple images (exposures) in Photomatix and Oloneo Photo Engine. They each have their strong and weak points. As far as single image "HDR", Sagelight Image Editor does a fine job on those. As far as multiple vs single, I can't always tell the difference in my tests, it depends on the basic image. For images that end up on the web and not huge prints, the single image "HDR" is more than sufficient (when using a good program as those above and others).

Postby sigitsetiawan » Sun May 04, 2014 3:36 am

I think a true HDR feature and possibly super resolution is a good feature addition. Both using multiple image

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests