Resizing and image

Please let us know of absolutely anything you think is missing from Smart Photo Editor.

Resizing and image

Postby bcphoto1 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:19 pm

Is there something for resizing an image and save that version with a new name? Am I just not seeing it?

Re: Resizing and image

Postby eadams » Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 pm

When you save an image from the File - Save As menu, you can change the size in the Export Settings dialogue box and you can give the file a new name and choose where to save it.

SPE Export Settings.JPG
SPE Export Settings.JPG (48.85 KiB) Viewed 9241 times

Postby bcphoto1 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you. That answers it. I tried that once before but after making a choice in resizing I was concerned if I clicked on OK it would overwrite the original file. Perhaps it would be clearer if the choice was NEXT rather than OK.

Postby eadams » Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 am

bcphoto1 wrote:Thank you. That answers it. I tried that once before but after making a choice in resizing I was concerned if I clicked on OK it would overwrite the original file. Perhaps it would be clearer if the choice was NEXT rather than OK.

I understand your hesitation. :D

It is less confusing if you know the difference between the "Save" command and the "Save as" command as an industry standard in software.

Use "Save" if you want to overwrite your file.
Use "Save as" if you want to save the file under a new name, thus preserving the original file. All programs (not just SPE) will ask you to decide on a file name and location to save it.

Even using the "Save" command, SPE makes it very difficult to mistakenly overwrite an original file. SPE has a built-in safeguard. It automatically gives the file a new name. For example, if you load an image called sunset.jpg into SPE, make some changes and select the "Save" command, the program automatically suggests that the saved file be called sunset_pe.jpg. So if you carelessly just click OK, your original file remains untouched. You can't overwrite your original file unless you manually change the suggested name back to the original file name.

Postby bcphoto1 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Thank you. I am very familiar with the difference between Save and Save As, I use it routinely in Photoshop. However, I am used to having the resizing as a completely different page than the Save As command. I am sure once I get used to the change it will work for me. Now that I understand it, it seems very efficient.

Postby FrizB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Would it be possible to give a listing for frame sizing such as 8x10, 11x14, etc. , I have seen that in GIMP

Postby eadams » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:23 am

FrizB wrote:Would it be possible to give a listing for frame sizing such as 8x10, 11x14, etc. , I have seen that in GIMP

You can use the crop tool to crop your image to a fixed ratio (e.g. 8x10 or 11x14).

Postby FrizB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:03 pm

I haven't noticed where it gives a frame size when cropping????

Postby Richard Briggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 am

Selecting an image size (i.e. in pixels) as part of the 'Save' operation will not crop nor change the ratio of the saved image. You need to use the Crop tool within the editor to do that. When using the Crop tool you can choose a ratio for your crop as shown below....
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (134.22 KiB) Viewed 8990 times

Postby eadams » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 pm

FrizB wrote:I haven't noticed where it gives a frame size when cropping????

Richard Briggs has given a good explanation of what cropping does. If it doesn't answer your question, please explain what you mean by "frame size".

Return to Feature Requests