Feature request!

Please let us know of absolutely anything you think is missing from Smart Photo Editor.

Feature request!

Postby BRHair » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:36 pm

I love to go back and forth between effects comparing the resulting images. Frequently there are several effects which produce interesting results, and I'd like to eliminate the others so I can concentrate on only those of interest. Adding a "check box" to each effect on the Gallery View (Grid and Individual) that would allow me to return only to those I selected before actually making one operational, would be a big help. Sort of a "Holding Area" for the effect of interest. Once one is actually picked, the holding area would clear by default ... OR ... even better, before clearing ASK if the effects in the holding area should marked as "Favorites".

Site Admin

Re: Feature request!

Postby admin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am

Hi,

Have you looked into the shortlist feature? It sounds like what you are talking about.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby BRHair » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:46 pm

GREAT ... YES!!! ... that is exactly what I wanted ... you read my mind :-D Perhaps I should spend sometime actually reading the documentation ... lol

Postby BRHair » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm

OK ... I've now had the chance to work with the "Add to Shortlist" feature. It certainly does much of what I would like to see. Now if it would allow me to REMOVE an item from the Shortlist (one item at a time) as I narrow the selections to the one that gives the desired effect. Presently, I have to go back and forth between perhaps 6-8 effects trying to judge my preference. Being able to remove ones I've eliminated would make the process even smoother. Maybe a "Remove form Shortlist" button that pops up as the curser hovers over an effect?

Also, please consider allowing a user to "Save Shortlist" OR the ability to subdivide Favorites sub-groups with a name such as "Favorite Vignettes" or whatever. As I use the SPE I find that I definitely keep coming back to my favorites even though I continually keep checking out the entire listing of effects. However, I've now got a favorites list of 30 items ... and it would be wonderful to bring those into the Gallery/Favorites screen by type, rather than the entire list of Favorites. That would make the process of comparing effects much more straight forward, as the ones being considered would be right next to each other.

Thanks!

Postby Richard Briggs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 am

I'd say that the developers of SPE never dreamt that there would be thousands of effects created over time. I count there are currently 7360. The result is many of the features associated with the effect 'library' have not scaled well. The obvious example is simply searching by name. Admittedly this is probably a combination of poor keywording by submitters and product capabilities( i.e. search capability). Having said that, the ability to browse effects is excellent. So, yes, I'd agree that some of the features you mention would go a long way to enriching this general capability.

Richard

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am

Hi,

Once you've added an item to the shortlist, the button turns into a "Remove From Shortlist" button that you can click again to remove. If you click on Show Shortlist in the side panel you will see all your shortlisted items, where you can remove them one at a time.

Once you've applied your favorite effect from the gallery, all the other shortlisted items show up in Favourites/Recent/Shortlists. Hovering over that button gives you a shortcut so you can apply any of your shortlisted items even after exiting the gallery.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby BRHair » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks, Tony ... you are the man!! I agree with Richard about the daunting number of effects, many totally of little normal use. BUT, that is part of what SPE is all about ... community involvement. As long as I can build my own "Favorites", then the only challenge is the shear number and my ability to find time to check the mall out. Does SPE rank effects by number of times used ... or chosen as a "Favorite"?

Postby Richard Briggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 am

This was discussed elsewhere but the number of times, whilst browsing for an effect for a photo, I have encountered some that I consider "totally useless and what possessed anyone to create such an effect."

Then a few months later I am browsing again and find the perfect effect for my oddball shot. And guess what? It's the effect I'd written off months before! So, never judge whether an effect is any use or not. You never know.

Richard

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:40 am

Effects are ranked by how likely they are to get picked by you, which is quite complex. If they were ranked by how many times they were used or favorited, then the ones at the top would stay at the top regardless of merit!

Postby bbrouhard » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 am

Hi Tony / Admin

I've tried removing effects by searching by name to click Remove from Shortlist. Sometimes the search returns a message that the effect doesn't exist or wasn't found, which is pretty confounding by itself, but when the search works and the effect is found the Remove from Shortlist flag isn't there, instead the Add to Shortlist button is active even though the effect is already in my Shortlist. I understand that there can be more than one effect with the same name, but when the search returns only one effect I am assuming that effect is the one that is already in my Shortlist, but, again, I see the button to Add to Shortlist. What am I doing wrong?

I've also tried what Tony posted in a prior response:
If you click on Show Shortlist in the side panel you will see all your shortlisted items, where you can remove them one at a time.

I open my favorites and shortlist (from the right panel), but I don't see where I can remove them one at a time. I have seen the Show Shortlist button appear - intermittently - on the left of my screen, but I don't know how to get it to reappear on purpose so I can manage my shortlist.

I have also created effects that I have now deleted in my local users file, but they are still listed in my Shortlist. Obviously when I click on that effect name the system returns an error, so how do I remove those deleted effects from the Shortlist?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Next

Return to Feature Requests