Fixing a selected area

Ask any questions about searching for effects, or any of the other gallery features. Questions about specific effects should go in the Effects forum
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Fixing a selected area

Postby dianaadler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 am

I have a photo that needs the sky to be changed. I selected the area and clicked ok. I opened the gallery to look at some sky options. I noticed that I missed an area and want to go back and touch up my selected sky area before I apply a new sky from the gallery. How do I re-edit ... or is it not possible? Do I need to start over (which would be a pain since this is a complicated sky to highlight.

Re: Fixing a selected area

Postby Richard Briggs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 am

Here's how....

Do as you have done - You have selected an area, pressed 'Confirm Selection and Browse Effects', you click on a particular sky effect and, finally, you click OK. All done. Except....

You notice you missed a bit when you selected the area originally. Or maybe you selected too much.

Now hover over the mask (black and white window) at top right hand corner and then click on it. You can now add or erase to the selection as normal.

If you want to fade the whole effect (maybe to blend your original sky with the new one) then click the left hand image of the pair (not the base image) and you can do this.

A question I have for someone is, having spent time getting the selection just right, can I go back and select another sky?

Richard

Postby eadams » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:51 am

dianaadler wrote:A question I have for someone is, having spent time getting the selection just right, can I go back and select another sky?

Sure! Assuming you have made a selection of the sky, instead of just clicking on the Effects Gallery icon at the top right of your screen, just hover the mouse over it. You will see that the selection you have made is given as an option to select effects for. Just select the selection you want to use.
SPE reuse selection.JPG
SPE reuse selection.JPG (46.91 KiB) Viewed 8405 times

If you select "sky" you will get all the sky backgrounds to choose from. You can apply any number of sky effects in this manner to your image, then click on them one by one to see which one you like the best. The others can be deleted by clicking on the little x that appears when you hover over the thumbnail with your mouse. Below I applied 3 sky effects to my image.
SPE reuse selection multiple times.JPG
SPE reuse selection multiple times.JPG (27.75 KiB) Viewed 8405 times

The same applies to any selection you make - you can reuse them any number of times as long as you don't close the image session. If I'm experimenting with different variations of my image like this, I usually save the image session (Save as session option in the File menu) so I can open the session again later and continue tweaking the image.

Postby dianaadler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Richard ... thank you ... I was able to edit the area after-the-fact. Very useful. Learned a lot about the 'select area' options.
I, too, would love to know about going back and re-choosing an entirely different sky (or selected area) after one has been chosen since re-cutting in the sky again would really be a pain.

Postby dianaadler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Just saw the answer ... yay ... brilliant.

Postby Richard Briggs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 am

Wow, I have also learnt something today! And, of course, you can vary the opacity of, say, three sky effects and get a unique combination. How long have I been using SPE? 3? 4 years?

Richard

Return to The Gallery Panel