Can I find an effect if I only know it's name and creator?

Ask any questions about searching for effects, or any of the other gallery features. Questions about specific effects should go in the Effects forum
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Postby nbkbaa7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:08 am

Re: Can I find an effect if I only know it's name and creator?

Postby eadams » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:58 am

nbkbaa7 wrote:Can I find an effect if I only know it's name and creator?

In my experience the answer is: Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't :D

If you load an image, open the Effect Gallery and search for the name of an effect or an author, you will find most effects.

Some effects seem to be discoverable only if an appropriate area has been defined with the Select Area tool. I notice this behavior with skies.

For example, if you load an image, open the Effects Gallery and search for a sky (e.g. Sky - orange), you will get the error message "No effects found for ..."

But if you use the Select Area tool to select a sky in the image first and then make a search, you will find all the effects that have been tagged as being skies by their authors.

I think this behavior of the search engine was implemented so that end users only find the most appropriate effects for their images. However, sometimes this behavior is unwanted and restricts the user's ability to find particular effects that he may want to use in unusual circumstances.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:05 am

The reason we can't show an effect if it requires a selection and the selection doesn't exist, is that there is no way for the software to work out what the effect looks like on the users picture. e.g. it can't replace the sky if it doesn't know which pixels are sky: you'd end up with sky appearing in the wrong places! We tried showing users the effect on a different picture, and other placeholders that asked them to define the sky in their image to see the effect in action, but that confused new users to the software who couldn't understand why their image couldn't show the effect.

Hope that helps understand!

Tony

Postby eadams » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:55 pm

That makes sense, Tony, thanks.

Return to The Gallery Panel