How to change an applied effect

Ask any questions about searching for effects, or any of the other gallery features. Questions about specific effects should go in the Effects forum
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

How to change an applied effect

Postby MacSa » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Hello,

using versin 1.2.3 I have created a project that has several effects applied to an area of a picture.

I reloaded that project and the panel at the top shows all the effects that the project uses.

I found that I can make changes to the area an effect is applied to by clicking on the respective area in the overview.

Now I want to replace an effect in my series with a different one, but how do I do this? I would have expected that if I double click on a specific preview picture in the overview of the project, the effect browser would come up to allow me to change the effect. But all that happens is that I can change the parameters of the effect - but I have found no way to change the effect to a different one.

All I seem to be able to do is to add another effect and delete the previous one?

Secondly I have not found a way to "reuse" my previously created selection within the same project for the next effect ... somehow this all seemed more inuitive to me in the original version gui.

Let me know - thanks for your updates-

Peter

ArjunAnthroQA

Re: How to change an applied effect

Postby ArjunAnthroQA » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Hello MacSa,

Some of your queries are things that we are looking into, but your issue about re-using existing selections is in this version. When in Area Select, there should be an option on the right that allows you to reselect portions of the image that you had previously selected in another edit. For example, if you had marked an area and tagged it as Sky, if you go back into area select after applying an effect to that area, it should give you the option to "Add Sky" , allowing you to reuse that previously marked up "Sky" portion of the image.

Let me know if that's what you were looking for.

EDIT: Added a screenshot to show where you can add existing selections (See red box)

Postby MacSa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,

thanks for the reply - I found the way to "re-use" the previous selection (although I could not see your screenshot), I had missed that option.

The ability to replace used effects has been in a previous version, as far as I remember and I hope that will come back, eventually it could even be enhanced by allowing to "re-arrange" the order that the existing effects are applied.

I still like the fresh concept of this software - and hope the ability to create own effects will come back soon.

Regards and thanks - Peter

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:49 pm

The method described by Arjun creates a second selection with a copy of the initial selection. This might be what you want if you want to modify both selections independently. Currently there isn't a way to reuse an existing selection, but the plan was to have, for example, browse Sky effects as an button in the pop out panel for the gallery tool, that would appear once you had made a sky selection. As you say, it was in the old interface but hadn't quite made it into the first release of the new interface.

Tony

Return to The Gallery Panel