RAW development

This is the place to ask any questions about the Smart Photo Editor community
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

RAW development

Postby Picmeister » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 am

Does SPE standard 1.29 open RAW files eg NEF & ORF?

Re: RAW development

Postby gary » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Yes it does, and you can check this using the free trial to make sure you are happy with the RAW handling for your files.

Postby Picmeister » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 pm

Thanks Gary, I have SPE 1.29 but it won't open ORF or NEF files- only jpg.

Postby Richard Briggs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:44 am

Like any post-processing software such as Photoshop you need to be running a version that supports the specific RAW format. Although SPE will open and allow you to operate on supported RAW files it is not quite the same as Photoshop etc in this respect. Your completed work will be a jpeg (or Tiff etc) only. I do not think SPE will save the RAW file (like Photoshop RAW Editor).

Also, there is a free utility from Adobe that will convert manufacturer specific RAW files to the Adobe standard DNG. I am sure SPE will open DNG files (but never tried). On that subject, my Pentax can be set to create DNG RAW files as opposed to the Pentax-specific PEF. Maybe you can set yout camera to create DNG (if SPE supports it).

Richard

PS

Re: can't open RAW files for editing...

Postby Picmeister » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:32 am

RichardB thanks-but I can't open any RAW files on SPE standard edition at all. Do I need to upgrade to the next level of SPE?

Postby Richard Briggs » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

Hi,

Just tried my utterly standard SPE on Windows 10 and it opens PEF RAW files perfectly (PEF is Pentax RAW - that is pretty rare :( ). My version info says V1.26.0/ZRaw-v1.8 (from 'About' under Help). I guess zRAW-v1.8 is the component that opens RAW files. I'm afraid I can't help further. You may need to go to support. In the first instance try and find out if your RAW formats are supported. If not, I suggest you try the DNG converter I referred to.

Richard

Postby gary » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:53 am

All versions of SmartPhotoEditor support RAW files but it could be that your ZRAW component has been broken in some way. I suggest a re-install by going to the license manager and entering your token, and if that doesn't fix this then contact support.
The license manager is here: https://www.anthropics.com/smartphotoeditor/licenses/
The free Adobe DNG converter is here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/di ... ative.html

Postby Picmeister » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 am

Many thanks Gary. I followed your tip to go to License Manager and downloaded SPE 1.29 and everything works properly now. ORF & NEF once again open in the SPE program. Thanks a ton.

Return to The Smart Photo Editor community