Lens data not visible on Flickr

This is the place to ask any questions about the Smart Photo Editor community
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Lens data not visible on Flickr

Postby birdfancier » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Why doesn't my lens information show in the EXIF data when I post photos to Flickr? My camera model shows, but not the lens. It only does this when I use Smart Photo Editor. Does Flickr not recognize Smart Photo Editor, or is it the other way around?

I would appreciate someone shedding some light on this issue. I plan to eventually upgrade to Lightroom of which I know will not neglect to include all camera/lens details in the EXIF data, but in the meantime I need to use Smart Photo Editor to add my signature to photos.

Thanks!

Re: Lens data not visible on Flickr

Postby gary » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 am

Smart Photo Editor has a table of known EXIF tags and only copies those known tags to the files it saves. Unfortunately the lens data was added in a later version of the EXIF format and so this data is not copied. We keep a list of known tags because some camera manufacturers add EXIF data in a way that breaks the rules of the EXIF structure, so dealing with unknown tags could crash the software or create other problems later on. The safest thing is to only deal with known and trusted EXIF data.

Postby birdfancier » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

I don't quite understand what you're talking about, but my interpretation is that my lens EXIF data is not recognizable to Smart Photo Editor. I assume my lens is still too new (Canon EF 100-400mm II), for Smart Photo Editor to copy the EXIF.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:38 am

Hi,

Yes that's right. It's possible we'll support newer exif tags in a later version.

Tony

Postby birdfancier » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:01 am

Do you have an idea when a new version will be released, or at least an update to support new EXIF data?

Postby gary » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 am

Adding newer EXIF tags is on the list of improvements to do, but so far we have not had many people asking for this and there are many other things that are a higher priority. I really can't say when this is likely to be added.

Postby birdfancier » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info. However, I would think your company would want to keep up with the latest information as it becomes available. It seems like keeping the software up to date with current EXIF tags and other innovations would help you better compete with all the other photo editing programs on the market.

Return to The Smart Photo Editor community