Contact Artist for Revision

This is the place to ask any questions about the Smart Photo Editor community
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Contact Artist for Revision

Postby Carolyn Marshall Photography » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:07 am

I have a filter that I really love and want to use. However, it has a couple odd "blobs" for lack of a better description in the filter itself that shows up in the images. Unfortunately, there's no way to erase it or change it. Is there a way to contact the author to see if he can make a revision to the filter for me? His name is andrewb2012 adn the filter is Essential Textures 034. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Site Admin

Re: Contact Artist for Revision

Postby admin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:44 am

If you want you can actually create a modified version of the effect yourself. You'll need a painting program (like Photoshop elements, or the gimp which is free). To do this, apply the effect to your picture. Right click on the effect tab on the top right, and choose manual edit. You'll see the effect in question is made out of a load internet image (which is the overlayed texture), a hard light merge and a Hue Saturation Brightness nodes. If you connect the load internet image to the effect output, your whole picture will become the overlayed texture, which you can save to your hard disk (just use File > Save as Jpg/Tiff/Png). You can then paint whatever you want over the texture. Finally to get it back into the effect: delete the load internet image node, then press Add Image to load in your adjusted version. If you connect the output of the Scale node into the bottom input of the "Hard light Merge", you'll have an adjusted version! Congratulations, you've made your first effect.

You can now publish your effect for yourself or others to use by pressing Publish.

You might find some of the video tutorials on this page useful in getting started with the effect editor.

Let me know if you get stuck at any point.

Tony

Postby LivingLifePhoto » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Thank you so much, Tony. I am VERY new to SPE and just purchased the Studio version. I admit I have basically just been applying and using the effects "as is" from the selections provided and have been very happy with them so far. This particular one just had a circular light (bokeh) section in a spot that stood out on every image I tried it on. It was a little distracting. I have a ton to learn about the program, so I guess I need to visit the video tutorials. Again, thanks for the fast reply. Much appreciated!

Carolyn

Postby LivingLifePhoto » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:17 am

Yes, Tony, I'm stuck. I've watched the initial video since it's the basic step I'm having a problem with. I was able to get the manual edit screen up on the left and see the effect and the nodes. I can't seem to figure out how to connect the load internet image to the effect output. When I click on the Effect Input it shows just my imported image. If I click on load internet image, it shows the overlay, but it isn't the full effect (it's just a green tint). If I then click the hard light merge and hue saturation I have the look of the full effect but it has my original image in it with the overlay. It looks like the effect input is connected to the load internet image then to the hard light merge. The effect input is also connected to the hard light merge > hue saturation brightness > effect output. I tried clicking on the little circle on the right of the load internet image box and then dragging a line to the circle on the left of the effect output box and it made the arrow connection. But no matter what I do, I cannot get the effect in the yellowy/orange hue without having my original image in it. How do I connect the load internet image to the effect output and keep the same hue as is originally shown in Essential Textures 034? I've tried and tried but I can't get there.

Postby LivingLifePhoto » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:22 am

One more thing. Is there a basic video that explains how all the nodes connect and work together with all the arrows, etc.? I watched the first basic video, then the second one. The second one seemed to jump into a more advanced setup where all the nodes were already set up, but it didn't explain how they all connected and interconnected. That part is very confusing right now.

Postby LivingLifePhoto » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 am

Sorry to keep posting. I just looked through a ton of other videos. None of them are specific as to how to work with the nodes. Most of the videos just have music in the background so it's a little hard to follow. I have searched several different places in the community for all the videos I could find with no luck on finding anything specific to working with, connecting, etc. the nodes. I get the general concept of the different ways you can work with the settings, i.e. hue, saturation, etc. Just not getting the base understanding for connecting the nodes. Sorry if this is confusing. It's now 4am and I'm giving up and going to bed. :-)

Postby Arwin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Carolyn,

No apologies needed to post here ;)

A node has generally one input connector and one output connector, the construction is from left to right.
Just keep in mind that the input connector(s) is/are always on the leftside of the node and output connector(s) is/are always on the rightside of the node.

You will always start with the Effect Input node and this node has only an output connector.

How to get new nodes in your workspace
You can drag new nodes into your workspace.
For example, in the first tab of the effect editor you will find the Merge node, just click this node, hold the click and drag down the node into your workspace, this will bring this node to your disposal.

How to connect an output connector to an input connector (or visa versa)
Just click on the output connector of a node, hold click and drag your mouse to the input connector of a node and you're done! First connection made ;)
You will see the connector will lit green when you hover your mouse above the connector, this will also happen when you click, hold and drag to the input connector, as soon it's green you can let go the click and the connection is made.
If there is no connection possible, like you will connect an input to an input, the editor will not allow you to do, so aslong they will connect, you're on the right track!

Don't forget to connect your last new node to the input connector of the Effect Output node, this will finish your effect and you're ready to publish!

Here are some video tutorials that are specific for the effect editor

Effects Editor - Getting Started

Prototype Effect for Effect Designers to Develop

How To Publish Effects

And here is the whole list of videos
And here are some I created

Hope this will help you to get on track, meanwhile I'm working on a video that involves your question to customize an effect (texture), just to inspire, many ways are possible to achieve the customization ;)

Cheers and a Happy Easter,
Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby Arwin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:56 pm

btw, best way to learn effect structures, is to edit existing effects (manual edit in effect tab) and see how the are build, just customize them, drag in new nodes, connect them, play with the sliders and/or blend modes and see what it's doing :ugeek:

Succes,
Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby Arwin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Here is my new video that will hopefully get you on track, just remember there are more ways to get to where you want ;)

Succes,
Arwin

Feel free to follow ;)

Postby LivingLifePhoto » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Arwin, that last video you just did was exactly what I needed. There's only one other suggestion I would make. Is there a way for you to "talk" through the steps on the video (or future videos)? The reason I say this is that there are so many things going on at once for someone new and trying to follow along with you. You have to read the text that is posted (while the cursor is changing through the steps in the background), watch the steps you are making, and watch what it does to the image all at the same time. I tried pausing along the way to read the text frozen on screen, but the steps you were going through in the background were changing so it was hard to follow that way. I had to keep going back and forth pausing and rewinding, pausing and rewinding to follow through it. If I could hear you talking the steps as you did them, then I would be able to watch the steps as you were doing them and not be distracted by having to read something else on the screen at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

Other than that...THANK YOU! This answered the connection question. It got a little more confusing from the middle of the video on, but I think that was because I was having to go back and forth so much with the pausing. I'm sure it will all come together in the end. You are awesome for putting this video together using my specific texture in question.

Carolyn

Next

Return to The Smart Photo Editor community